Coronavirus Operating Statement
Update 3rd November 2020 –
COVID-19 UPDATE: Sadly due to the new government lockdown which comes into force in Thursday 5th November, we have taken the difficult decision to temporarily suspend all of our social meets from Thursday until the initial lockdown period is lifted.
Physical meets were implemented in September 2020. We recognise we provide parents/carers and their children with enjoyable social meets across Norfolk & Suffolk to help reduce social isolation.
Our policy, practices and procedures will continue to be based on the latest government guidance.
Get Me Out The Four Walls takes health and safety seriously. In light of the current outbreak of the Coronavirus Virus (COVID-19), we have put together some information, all of which is based on Public Health England advice.
Get Me Out The Four Walls have put stringent measures in place to ensure your child or children can start to enjoy meeting others in a safe and positive environment.
Following this advice from government:
We have adopted the following measures in response to the Coronavirus outbreak:
Online Social Events
We have created a programme of online social events, hosted by both Volunteer Ambassadors and Staff members, targeted at both parents/carers and their children, which we plan to continue after face to face meets recommence, to ensure that everyone has a chance to socialise and connect with others at all times.
Physical Social Meets
Until government guidance changes, all physical social meets will be held in outdoor spaces only, with the following procedures being implemented:
- We will require members to book a place onto the social meet. There will be a limited number of attendees allowed at each social meet, subject to current Government guidelines.
- A link will be posted onto the event, for parents/carers to complete our COVID-19 Health Screening Questionnaire. The completed form will need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org at least the day before the meet is due to take place. Completed questionnaires will be securely kept for a period of 21 days for the purposes of track and trace, after which they will be destroyed.
- Volunteer Ambassadors/Staff members will also be required to complete the COVID-19 Health Screening Questionnaire declaring if they have been in contact with anyone infected with COVID-19 within the last 14 days. Again, this information will be destroyed after 21 days.
- A general COVID-19 risk assessment for outdoor social meets has been created. This Risk Assessment will be reviewed, and amended as appropriate, for each new outdoor location to ensure all hazards have been identified and controls have been put into place.
- All Volunteer Ambassadors/Staff members will undertake a certified COVID-19 awareness course. They will also receive training on the COVID-19 Risk Assessment before being able to host a social meet.
- When attendees arrive at the social meet, the parent/carer will be asked again if they, or any member of their household, has been in contact with anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19 over the last 14 days.
- All attendees of the social meet will be shown how to wash hands thoroughly, the need for regular hand washing, where appropriate, and the importance of using and disposing of tissues.
- GMOTFW will supply all Volunteer Ambassadors/Staff members will their own COVID-19 Essentials box, which will contain all items needed to ensure a safe social meet.
- GMOTFW will supply antibacterial hand-gel to all Volunteer Ambassadors/Staff members, within their COVID-19 Essentials Box. Attendees of the social meet will be asked to bring their own antibacterial hand-gel along to the meet, if possible. Both Volunteer Ambassadors/Staff members and attendees are to use hand gel at the beginning and the end of the social meet. Should an attendee not have access to antibacterial hand-gel, Volunteer Ambassadors are to supply a bottle of antibacterial hand-gel to the attendee. This will not be returned to the Volunteer Ambassador, after its use.
- All attendees of the social meet, including children, should maintain the government guidelines on social distancing and ensure there is a 2-metre distance between everyone. It is ultimately the parents’ responsibility to ensure that children adhere to these rules, at all times, for everyone’s safety.
- Should any attendee of the social meet begin to show symptoms of a cough/fever or develops a high temperature whilst at the meet, they will be asked to leave immediately.
- PPE will be provided for Volunteer Ambassadors/Staff members to wear in the event of having to come into close contact with someone who is not in their household. Disposable gloves and face masks will be included in their COVID-19 Essentials Box.
What GMOTFW will do if someone develops symptoms at one of our social events?
- If anyone becomes unwell or develops any symptoms of COVID-19 during the social meet, they will be asked to leave immediately and advised to follow the staying at home guidance.
- If they need clinical advice, we will contact NHS111 or in an emergency, or call 999 if they are seriously ill or their life is at risk.
- If a Volunteer Ambassador/Staff member has helped someone who was taken unwell with COVID-19 symptoms at their social meet, they will ensure that they wash their hands thoroughly for 20 seconds. They will remove and dispose of their PPE.
- The Volunteer Ambassador/Staff member will inform the Acting Manager, Lucinda Terry, who will make contact with the attendee, who had fallen ill. They will be asked to request a testing kit to establish whether they have a confirmed case of COVID-19, and report back to GMOTFW with the outcome of their results.
- If a confirmed case is identified, all attendees of the meet including the Volunteer Ambassador/Staff member will be contacted and asked to isolate at home, as per the current Government guidelines.
There are some practical steps everyone can take to stop the spread of viruses:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- Avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- Keep 2 metre distance as per the social distancing guidelines
- Touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
We will continue to monitor the situation closely, and update our policies when needed.
Safeguarding the health and wellbeing of both Ambassadors/Staff members and all attendees of our social meets is our top priority.